Hindley Junior & Infant School

Argyle Street, Hindley, Wigan, Lancashire WN2 3PN   01942 255339   07759 969879

How does the school know if my child needs extra help and what should I do if I think my child may have special educational needs?

How do you identify children with special educational needs?

Children’s needs are identified using the Graduated approach as recommended in the most recent version
of the SEND Code of Practice. Within Hindley J & I School the following process will be used.

  • Class teacher becomes concerned about lack of progress and adjusts teaching (adaptive teaching and differentiation).
  • If progress is not made they will consider specific direct support to address and develop skills (intervention) including discussions with parents and the use of the assess, plan, do, review (APDR)process.
  • Ongoing difficulties are discussed with the SENDCo who considers additional identification of needs within school (assessment).
  • Discussion with and possible support from outside agencies (referral).
  • Allocation of additional staff support from within school, or purchase of supportive equipment
  • (resources).
  • If considered necessary, there may be a request to the Local Authority for additional support via an application for an EHCP and the allocation of additional funds to support specific interventions or resources (application).

How will I be able to raise any concerns I may have?

  • Speak to the class teacher as soon as you are concerned as they may be able to quickly alleviate these concerns and if not will be able to monitor these with you.
  • Speak to the Learning Mentor who can discuss your concerns and liaise with school staff to gather information and monitor ongoing progress.
  • Speak directly to the SENDCo for advice and guidance.




If you have any concerns about something you see online, you can visit CEOP Safety Centre and make a report directly to CEOP by clicking the button below.